Had unprotected oral sex. Noticed white circles around tongue, sore throat and pain in neck. Worrisome

Question
I have white circles around my tounge, pain in my underarms and under my neck, and now a sorer throat, the circles aroung tounge are over 3 weeks now.
I've had unprotected oral sex performed on me, my white blood cells are fine.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.
Are there ulcerations on your tongue? Do you have a picture you could load on here?

Dr. Ward

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Noticed white circles around tongue, sore throat and pain in neck. Worrisome 13 hours later
I don't. Have pic, its white circles around the back of my tounge and alil red in front

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your response. In order to better help you I need more information on them. Please describe them in further detail.

Where is it red?
How big of an area?
Do you have ulcerations?
Could they just be the normal papilla (Circumvalate) that are normally found on the back of the tongue?
Do you have a fever?
Do you have a cough?
Could you please take a picture and load it to the site?
Has this happened before now?

Dr. Ward

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Noticed white circles around tongue, sore throat and pain in neck. Worrisome 6 minutes later
Small,

Never happened before

Not the norm

And I can't load it

No fever

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for your response,
since I can not see your picture and have not evaluated you I can not diagnose you in this fashion. I can give you a few possibilities and recommendations however.

If you do not have a fever, but feel ill, have tenderness under the arms and neck with a sore throat and oral lesions, you could have mononucleosis and should be checked for mononucleosis. However, because of the normal WBC count, it is less likely EBV.

Do the lesions on your tongue hurt when you drink citric beverages such as pine XXXXXXX or orange juice? If so, then the lesions could be geographical tongue which is completely benign.

I don't have enough information from your history to give you a substantial evaluation. I needed to know exact dimensions of the lesion, color etc.

I strongly suggest with a sore throat, lymphadenopathy and oral lesions that you go to your doctor to be evaluated for EBV, CMV, leukemia, tonsillitis, diphtheria, common cold and influenza. All of these diseases could represent with the signs and symptoms you are describing. Any further diagnosis can be done through a rule out process via blood work and physical examination.

Best regards

Dr. Ward