Had unprotected oral sex. Noticed rash on penis. No pain and no itching. Treatment?

Question
Dear Dr,
Im 40 years, Male, I had an un protected oral sex and protected sex in First week of March, Later few days I noticed a red rashes in penis ring by around mid March, As of now no treatment taken, there is no pain, no itching, just redish some time shiny.
1. Incident happened on 1-3-2013, unprotected oral sex / Protected sex.

2. By 15-3-2013 noticed red rashes in penis.

3. April/May i have the acne or blisters in my neck back. (may be second outbreak???)

4. Till 1-7-2013 no treatment taken.

5. for the past 4 months rashes remain, didnt go away. is it right that Herpes or Syphilis will go within 2-3 weeks either with medication or without medication?

5. Blood test on 1-7-2013 is normal. (16 weeks)

6. Last 4 days took doxycycline 100 mg, it looks healing now.

7. Doest it mean its related to Herpes or Syphilis

8. In case if had second outbreak (acne or blisters) in neck, then shall we assume the blood test is more accurate?.

Kindly answer to all my queries, this will help me a lot, Im stressed now.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.

The most common sexually transmitted infections are chlamydia, gonorrhoea, trichomonas, herpes, syphilis, HIV, hepatitis B.

Chlamydia, gonorrhea and trichomonas would be associated with a penile discharge and burning on urination so your symptoms are not likely to be related to these conditions. Some persons may have chlamydia and gonorrhea and have no symptoms so you may want to consider screening for these so that you can be treated if they are present.

In terms of the herpes- this would present with painful redness which would then turn into a painful or uncomfortable rash that has the appearance of small blisters. These blisters would then burst to form small ulcers that would also be uncomfortable and painful.

Herpes would not cause a rash on your neck, it would affect your genitalia region or your mouth.

If the rash was never painful then it is very unlikely it was related to herpes.

At present the web site is not allowing me to view the result page only the pictures sent but if you had herpes test at 16 weeks , it would have shown if you were infected with herpes by that time.
If it was negative it means that you are not infected with herpes.

In terms of the syphilis- this would normally present within 3 weeks of contact. They would normally present with red 'bumps' that are 2 to 4 cm in size, these would also form an ulcer of the same size. These lesions would last about 4 to 8 weeks.
If your lesions were smaller than this and did not turn to large ulcers then it is unlikely that it is syphils.

It also would not cause any lesions on your neck.

There are other causes for rashes on the penis other than sexually transmitted infections.
A rash can also occur to inflammation or irritation of the penis from contact with any chemical agent- this would include creams,lotions, soaps, detergents used in underclothes.
These initial chemical irritation rash can also become infected from any bacteria normally present on the surface of the skin.
It can also be related to non sexually transmitted bacteria that can infections on any aspect of the skin or fungal infections.

The fact that the rash have remained for such a long time period may mean that is related to something that may have been coming in contact with the area, if it is responding to the antibiotics it is possible that there was a secondary infection.

The rash in the neck is not likely to related to any sexually transmitted infection,they would not cause a rash in this area.
Based on the images provided it is possible that this may be acne or again a reaction to an agent.

I hope this eases your mind

Feel free to contact with any other questions