Had unprotected oral sex. How quickly can I be tested for STD?

I am a male....I received unprotected oral quickly can I be tested for was two days ago....I am married and want to be it too early to get tested. I also wanted to ask which tests i should order....
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Sexually transmitted disease can be caused following oral sex.

The commonly seen are.

Genital warts.
Genital herpes.
HIV etc.

Each of the organism has different period of incubation, that is the period between the exposure and appearance of the symptoms.

The symptoms of gonorrhea can be seen in two days which is the earliest and HIV infection can take up to 6 months to two years. And HIV can be diagnosed after 6 months of exposure.

So the primary investigations you should do are :-

- For gonorrhea, you can do in 2 days to a week.
- For others you should do it in between 2 weeks to 90 days.
- Only HIV you should do after 6 months.

As a precaution you get tested

- First for gonorrhea then chlamydia-this test is usually done by taking swabs from urethra of a person with history of exposure.Second method is by testing urine for bacterial DNA.

- For syphilis you should get done TPHA (treponema pallidum haemagglutination assay) and VDRL(veneral disease research laboratory)test these are both blood investigations.

- For genital herpes you can do a PCR test.
- HIV test for AIDS
- HbsAg test for hepatitis-B

These are few tests you can get done to rule out infection after exposure. Then if you have any other symptoms get examined by a doctor and according to the presentation the necessary investigations can be ordered.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up questions.

For future be protected and be safe.