Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Worrisome

Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit" which was told as "undetectable/negative". Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There are high chances of transmission of HIV after having any vaginal or oral unprotected intercourse with a woman . HIV can be found in the blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid or vaginal fluid of a person infected with the virus.

Although males as recipients are at less risk, yet HIV can enter the body of the male through the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or through small cuts or open sores on the penis. CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur. Hence you should get HIV completely ruled out.

HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. So confirmation is only done by specific tests for HIV like western blot, PCR and ELISA. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Worrisome 6 minutes later
thank you so much for your reply doctor. is my test conclusive? is hiv possible for transmission in my case? pls answer.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The risk is high if there are any cuts on the penis or oral buccal mucosa of the woman then the risk is high, Otherwise chances are less. However conclusion can only be drawn after testing after 6 months of exposure.

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Worrisome 5 minutes later
Since i am exposed only to saliva of the women and i didnt have any cuts on my penis. What is the possibility now? Between I also took PCR test, which was negative. What does this mean?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 38 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If there were no cuts or sores on penis, then chances of HIV transmission are less.

A PCR test (Polymerase Chain Reaction test) can detect the genetic material of HIV rather than the antibodies to the virus, and so can identify HIV in the blood within two to three weeks of infection.

PCR is also a very sensitive test just like the ELISA test and if it is negative, then HIV is ruled out.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.