Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Any thoughts?

Excellent

Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit" which was told as "undetectable/negative". Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The PCR test detects the presence of viral genetic material and do not just rely on a response of the body to the virus like other HIV tests.
They are used both for screening/diagnosing HIV and for monitoring the levels of HIV in the blood.

The window period is the time period in which a test may be reported as falsely negative.
The window period for the test that you had done is 2 to 3 weeks, since you had it done 30 days after exposure it would have been after the window period.
This means that the result would have been accurate and you are not infected.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Any thoughts? 1 hour later
thank you so much for your reply. So can I take this result as conclusive and move on in my life?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Hi, yes you can take the results as conclusive

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr real time quantitative test showed negative. Any thoughts? 56 minutes later
thank you so much doctor. One last question, I am completely hiv free rite?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Hi

The 30 days is past the window period for this particular type of test. Once the time has passed the window period then the result can be taken as negative if it is reported negative.

Your negative result at this time means that you are HIV negative- no HIV present

Wish you the best