Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. Any advice?

I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit" which was told as "undetectable/negative". Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 36 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

HIV PCR testing is a definitive test and can tell you whether you have HIV much sooner than other tests. Usually within 2-3 weeks of exposure to a HIV-infected individual.

The duration of 30 days is very appropriate, and the result is to your benefit. Congratulations. Yes, it is confirmed that you do not have HIV. But, in some individuals the virus does take more time to reach its full potential, and to be detected (although this happens very rarely).

You are HIV free, but for your satisfaction, you could repeat the test again in 15 days. Once a repeated negative result is reported, you need not go about any further testing.

From next time on wards, be sure to practice safe oral/sexual intercourse. I hope this information helps. Be safe.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. Any advice? 9 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor. Even I belong to your age and I was so stressed. I will never do this insane activity again in my life. So can i take this result as conclusive and move on in my life? Can i have unprotected sex with my wife? Pls advice doctor. Thank you so much in advance.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Do not worry my friend. Mistakes happen. Forget it, and move on. Work on being happy and keeping your wife happy.

Yes you are 99.9% free of HIV. It would be best if you could wait for another 15 days, repeat a PCR for HIV, and once the report is out, continue to have unprotected sexual intercourse with your wife.

I am sure you are HIV free, but just to be safe, for your wife's sake, let us repeat the test in 15 days.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any more information or clarifications, or rate my answers after closing this discussion. I wish you and your wife a happy, healthy and beautiful married life.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Hiv pcr quantitative test showed negative. Any advice? 4 minutes later
thanks a ton doctor. You have mitigated my stress and burden. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 0 minute later
You are most welcome.

Be safe and take care.