Had unprotected oral sex. Having sore throat. Is there a possibility of ARS? What should I do?

Question
I was given oral sex by two people who claimed to be negative a month ago. Last week I gave oral sex to two people who also claimed to be negative. Shortly thereafter I engaged in breath play and wrestling with choke holds being done on me. The very next day I had a sore throat and the day after I was diagnosed with a tonsillitid in one tonsil-- no patches or anything. It is still inflamed day four of antibiotics. Is there a possibility of ARS? Do I need to get tested. What about other stds? I should add that I am a pack a day smoker. I also have gingivtis sometimes. The second guy I went down on seemed to have unwashed balls which I touched while going down on him. What should I do? I am a total germaphobe. I plan to go to the Ent tomorrow.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 14 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Please let me know that during oral sex, you were performing it or receiving it?

What do you mean by ARS?

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Having sore throat. Is there a possibility of ARS? What should I do? 5 minutes later
The first two men gave me oral sex for about a minute each. The second two men I gave oral sex to and the one with the unwashed balls got a little cum in my mouth. I spit it out. Then-- I got worried once I got tonsillitis that it was a sign of early Hiv also known as ARS.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 43 minutes later

Welcome again,

In any one of them was suffering with HIV or STD, you could have received it through oral sex.

After infection with HIV, many peoples develops symptoms due to acute retroviral syndrome.

Common symptoms are:- Fever, Pharyngitis, Lymph nodes enlargement, malaise, rash and myalgia etc.

It can be a coincidence also that you developed Tonsillitis after oral sex.

To identify causative organism and effective antibiotics, you should get culture & sensitivity test of your throat swab done.

To rule out HIV infection you should get HIV tested after 3 and 6 months.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Having sore throat. Is there a possibility of ARS? What should I do? 2 minutes later
I was told that I cannot get tonsillitis from ARS or Hiv by my therapist and that oral sex carries little risk so there is no need to get tested.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome again,

HIV is name of virus only.

The name of disease caused by HIV is AIDS.

Acute retroviral syndrome is only an initial response to HIV infection.

HIV does not protect you from any disease, rather it destroys your immunity to infections.

Your Tonsillitis is not due to HIV, but STD's can cause it.

It is wrong conception that oral sex carries little risk. Only passive partner is at little risk and that too, if active partner is not suffering with oral ulcers.

Please get your tonsils examined by ENT Specialist and get Culture & sensitivity of throat swab and other tests advised by him, done.

Hope you found my response to your follow up query, informative and helpful.

With good wishes,