Had unprotected oral sex. Developed sore throat. Is this an infection or STD?

I performed unprotected oral sex on a girl. And i have devolved a sore throat with orange/ flesh looking lumps on back of throat. Is this an infection or std?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have mentioned and the photograph attached, it looks like Upper Pharyngitis. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections. STD is not likely in your case.

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause Mononucleosis (mono) and the Flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in decreasing the congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Developed sore throat. Is this an infection or STD? 1 hour later
What are the bumbs in the back of my throat then?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The bumps on the back of your throat are likely to be swollen glands. These will subside once the inflammation in the area subsides. Yoiu need to have proper antibiotics after consulting your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.