Had unprotected oral sex. Concerned of contracting HPV

Jul 2012

Three days ago I performed unprotected oral sex on a woman. For the last two days I have experienced slightly swollen glands in my neck and a headache and elevated pulse I can detect in the morning as I lay in bed. I haven't taken my temperature, but I feel that it elevated. I'm most concerned that I might have contracted HPV though I supppose it might be anything or nothing. What do you think? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 34 minutes later
Hi there.
Was this woman you rendered cunnilingus spouse/friend/aquaintence/casual/paid?
Please be objective, get to a thermometer & take your temperature. I am sure this is some sort of viarl infection that is common with or wothout oral sex. The oral sex no-doubt contributed.
Drink plenty of sips of warm/lukewarm water & keep well hydrated. Take a tablet of paracetamol-ibuprofen combination or paracetamol 500mg+ ibuprofen 400mg (strictly after meals or some snack to avoid gastritis) three times/day for 48 hrs.
Warm saline (lots of salt) gargle after meals three times daily; if you can lay your hands on a mouth gargle with a built-in mild local anaesthetic, great for 15 mts before a meal oral rinse/gargle. Am sure your local pharamcy will stock all these & a copy of this trranscript should help your case.
If my diagnosis & clinical accumen is right, you should be better & good to go in 24-48 hrs. Dont envisage the need for a local antibiotic.
Do check with your partner if she is Ok or & has similar symptoms.
If my hunch right & all well, do get back & close this query in 48 hrs & XXXXXXX me on the back with a great review ;-)
Cheers & Good luck!
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Concerned of contracting HPV 8 minutes later
This woman was a professional and otherwise took precautions to protect herself.
This website is great idea. Glad I found it. Cheers to you.Oh by the way I am not experiencing a sore throat. Thanks
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 minutes later
Hi Again.
In that case, even less to fear.
Do go ahead with the gargles et al that i have adviced & if satisfied, do close this query & cut & paste the nice things you wish to say to me on the 'ratings/review section please' as else, this gets pinged to me as a follow-up query due to the vagaries of technology ;-)
Cheers & you are most welcome.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD