Had unprotected intercourse before surgical abortion. Could the sperm get me pregnant again?

Hello doctor this might sound like stupid questions but could you please help.  On Friday I had a surgical abortion.  I was about 6-7 weeks.  3 days prior to the abortion my boyfriend and I had unprotected intercourse.  Obviously I can't get pregnant if I'm pregnant already but my questions are the following.

1-could the sperm from the sexual encounter 3 days before the abortion live and get me pregnant again after the procedure was done?
2-is it even possible to ovulate within the first 2-3 days after an abortion or ending of a pregnancy? Doesn't it take 10-14 days?
3-how long does sperm live for in the body?
4-is it true your body will still think its pregnant for first few days after procedure and not produce egg?
5-any other thoughts on this would help..or do you think I'm just paranoid?

Thanks doctor I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You had a surgical abortion 3 days ago and also had intercourse 3 days prior to abortion.

1. If you were pregnant, then you were not ovulating (not fertile). If you aren't ovulating, then you cannot conceive. After an abortion, it would take a week or two for your cycle to return to normal and your ovulation to occur consistently so that you could conceive.

2. You can ovulate as soon as two weeks after an abortion, which means, you could get pregnant again within two weeks after an abortion.

3. Sperm can live in a woman's body for up to six days.

4. After the first month, the pregnancy hormones are still there, and will slowly leave your body. It can take from 6-24 months after an interrupted pregnancy before your body and hormonal systems feel completely be normal again. You may still test weakly 'positive' on a pregnancy test. You will not produce egg or ovulate till 1 or 2 weeks.

It is good that you have asked me the questions. Do not worry it is normal, it’s important to see if you are healing properly.

Your cervix will take two weeks or longer to close after an abortion. Once your cervix has returned to its normal closed state, then it is safe for you to swim, take a bath, have intercourse, etc. When your cervix is still open, there is a chance that bacteria can get up into your uterus, and cause painful and damaging infections.

It's important to make sure that the abortion was complete because products of conception can be retained. That is the reason you should undergo check up after the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse before surgical abortion. Could the sperm get me pregnant again? 51 minutes later
Thank you for your reply doctor. Just to clarify your sayin the sperm from the encounter 3 days prior to the abortion would not be able to reimpregnate me? And that the first ovulation would take atleast 1 week after the surgery?

I was also thinking the sperm would have to live the full 3 days and the antiseptic they use prior to surgery plus the actual procedure which would be a lot. But your saying it wouldn't be possible since it would be atleast 1 week before I released an egg? Thank you in advance for your reply doctor.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 32 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

Once you have already conceived and are pregnant, ovulation will not occur. So the new sperm cannot impregnate you while you are already pregnant.

The first ovulation can take about place about 2 weeks after your abortion. So even if the sperm is present, it has to survive for atleast 2 weeks post abortion for you to conceive.

I hope I have cleared your doubts. However, if you are still doubtful, you can do a urine pregnancy test if your periods are delayed from expected date.