Had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I had sex around the day I was suppose to ovulate. I am 18 years old and I have been feeling very gassy, heartburn and cramping of the stomach and lower abdomen. Today I had very sharp chest pain and went to the emergency room where my pregnancy test was negative and everything else looked normal. I feel pregnant, I feel bloated, fatigue, headaches, nauseous, and a weird feeling in general. If I'm not pregnant I don't feel normal, what could it be? Ive had this feeling for a week and my period is expected tomorrow.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 minutes later
As you had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation there is possibility for pregnancy.
But just by symptoms we cannot confirm or exclude pregnancy.
And urine pregnancy test kits may not detect very early pregnancy.
So you wait till your expected date of periods. If you cross the date, go for pregnancy test after 4 to 5 days which can give more accurate result.
If not you can go for blood test for pregnancy now, which can give more accurate result compared with urine test.
Meanwhile you can take symptomatic treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Worrisome 8 minutes later
Could my chest pain be related to pregnancy?
I had a blood pregnancy test done today, could I still be pregnant? I have also been peeing a lot, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my blood sample, no anemia or anything that could be causing fatigue. This is very frustrating.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
During pregnancy some amount of sphincter relaxation will be there that can lead to regurgitation of the food leading to burning sensation in the esophagus which can present as chest pain.
But that may not be seen in very early pregnancy.
That too if your blood test for pregnancy is negative, the chance for pregnancy is very less.
You may be getting very tensed related to it which might have leading to these symptoms.
Be peaceful. As the chance of pregnancy is very less, no need to worry.
Take antacids which can give some relief.
If you are still having frequency of urination go for urine microscopy once to rule out the possibility of urinary tract infection.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Worrisome 14 hours later
So if implantation had not occurred yet, would that cause a pregnancy test to be negative?
does the level of hcg start going up after implantation or are they present before implantation?
I am still feeling very tired and I feel "weird" in general and I would like to figure out whats wrong so I can fix it. could it be thyroid problems causing fatigue? I had some brown spotting this morning so I took a shower and Ive been checking and maybe thought it was my period but it has stopped! could it be implantation bleeding or could my period stop and come back?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later
Usually in case of regular cycle with 28 to 30 days duration, ovulation will occur on around 14th to 18th day.
And implantation will occur within one week after conception.
Beta HCG levels will start increasing after implantation.
Yes, thyroid problem can cause fatigue, menstrual irregularity etc.
The bleeding you had could be hypomenorrhea, means scanty flow during periods. Which can occur due to causes like poly cystic ovary disease, thyroid abnormalities, anemia etc.
So you better consult gynecologist once and get examined for these.
The chance of implantation bleeding is less as your blood test for pregnancy is negative.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.