Had unprotected intercourse and taken ipill. Having gel structures of blood and a white thick vaginal discharge. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

hi doc i have had my periods on 6th of july and didi unprotected intercourse on 20th of july but had ipill within 3 hours i have not faced any bleeding but there were some gel structures of blood and there a white thick vaginal discharge my periods were due on 6th of august but there is no periods till date i have crampings feeling tiredness and swollen breasts please tell me is there any chance of me getting pregnant ?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

First thing, you did unprotected sex around ovulation day or close to fertile days if previous cycle was regular. I-pill gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy within first 24 hrs. In this context, chance of pregnancy is less but you need to confirm.

However, most women get delayed period for 1 to 2 weeks due to effect of the pill. Hormonal imbalance and mental stress are associated causes for the same.

In this circumstance, I suggest you to wait up to 13th August to get your period as above clinical features are more suggestive of premenstrual symptoms. If you do not get your period in this time, you have to undergo one home pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. For confirmation, one blood test for beta hCG is advisable.

Following test reports, you need to consult with gynecologist for next line management. In the absence of pregnancy, I prefer progesterone pill (like norethisterone) to induce period of my patients. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your treating doctor after doing initial tests.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any further clarification.

Wish your good health. Practice safe sex in future. Try to avoid mental stress. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse and taken ipill. Having gel structures of blood and a white thick vaginal discharge. Chances of pregnancy? 2 hours later
my husband ejaculated for 5 times times that night 4 times ejaculated out but 5th time he ejaculated in me he was drunk does these both things make any difference in pregnancy and is it possible to get pregnant within 3 hours of intercourse as i mentioned above i had ipill within 3 hours
Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

You should know that pregnancy depends on proper timing of unprotected sex with ejaculation and ovulation time or fertile days. In this context, you involved in sex close to ovulation day and 5th time ejaculation inside vagina may impact.

Here, pregnancy is possible only after failure of I-pill (less than 5%). Therefore, I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test after 13th August to check your pregnancy status.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Take care yourself. All the best.

Dr Soumen