Had unprotected intercourse after periods. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hello i am 21 years old. My menstruations are normal. My last menstruation was on the 27th of October. i had heavy flow for the 27 28 29 and then 30 and 31 i had light brown blood finishing my menstruation. Other menstruations were on the 28th of September and 3rd of August.
I had sexual intercourse on the 1st of November with withdrawal method .There was no pre-ejaculation but i am worried because soon after the withdrawal there was ejaculation. is there any chance of pregnancy? every time i ovulate i have clear sticky discharge and i had that yesterday but i am worried.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 52 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Chances of pregnancy are negligible.

Withdrawal method is not 100% effective in avoiding pregnancy.
This is because secretions prior to ejaculation also contain few sperms.

As you say you can pinpoint your ovulation by looking for your discharge, then having intercourse up to at least 3 days prior to ovulation to 1 to 3 days after would insure possible conception. Having intercourse prior to ovulation insures that sperm will be present when the egg is released as sperms are viable for atleast 3 days in your body.

Considering this fact and your history, you had contact 7 days back which should not put you at risk of pregnancy.

Now the only option you have is to wait for your periods. If at all you miss them you need to test for pregnancy.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse after periods. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 4 hours later
why do i have swelling of my abdomen and have this really thick clear discharge ?

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 8 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

The perception of abdomen swelling can be just psychological owing to the physical contact you had. This is because abdominal swelling/distension does not occur so early in pregnancy. It only after 3 months.

Secondly if you feel a separate lump in your abdomen then it could be due to other causes which needs to be ascertained by physical examination and ultrasound.

You said you notice a discharge always at your ovulation time. Considering your last menses on 27th October, it is your ovulation period and the discharge can be explained by cervical sticky discharge that occurs normally during ovulation.

If you do not have any foul smell, itching or redness in the area with discharge then it is not due to any genital infection and is pretty much normal in ovulation period.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.

thank you for your help. i should stop worrying then about pregnancy and focus on my studies.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
You are most welxome.

Yes you should as there is nothing at the moment which you can do avoid pregnancy.
Its only when you turn positive, you need to.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse after periods. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 8 hours later
sorry to bother again. i have the same thing today. a lot of white discharge especially after bowel movement. no itching no smell

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Increased discharge can be a symptom of pregnancy. But none of the symptoms of pregnancy appear so early. Its only after you miss you periods that the hormone levels are high enough to produce symptoms.

So do not worry.

The increased discharge is cervical mucus which increases and gets sticky during ovulation. You must be going through ovulation now considering your last menses date.