Had unprotected intercourse. Took plan b. Experienced angular cheilitis on mouth and have yeast infection. Worrisome

May 2013
I had protected sex about 2 weeks ago with a guy who, like me, is not very sexually active but has had more than one partner. During intercourse, the condom broke and about 4 second later I noticed and we stopped. As a precautionary measure I took plan b the next morning. Then, a few days later I experienced angular cheilitis on my mouth ( I knew it was that because I had it before). Everything was fine for about a week and then I started becoming very congested. (I should note that I am in college and many people are sick around me.) It progressed into bronchitis around yesterday, and I am taking amoxicillin now to treat it. Then today I noticed that I have a yeast infection. I know this all seems like a pointless listing of random events but what I'm concerned about is the cause of my yeast infection, and the possibility that there is a correlation between all of these that may indicate an underlying illness. I know that hormone imbalances due to plan b as well as antibiotics can often cause yeast infections, but the fact that I am sick now and had angular cheilitis a week ago worries me. Should I stop being paranoid and just take these as coincidences, or is there a possibility that they are an indication of something worse, say, HIV. I'm only asking because I know that yeast infections, flu-like symptoms, and angular cheilitis can be early symptoms of HIV so obviously I am concerned. I am going to get tested soon no matter what for my own knowledge, but I would just like an opinion of someone who knows more than me for some piece of mind.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 41 minutes later

The possible causes for your symptoms are:
Angular cheilitis can occur due to nutritional deficiency, immunity.
Decreased immunity can lead to development of opportunistic infections.
Flu-like symptoms, bronchitis etc can occur as contagious diseases.
So you might have got them from your surroundings.
This decreased immunity and usage of antibiotics might have led to yeast infection as you told.

As there is a history of breakage of the condom we cannot completely exclude the possibility of HIV, though this is a rare possibility.
The time gap between the occurrence of HIV infection and manifestation of symptoms vary from person to person. It may range from weeks to months.
So you better get tested to rule out the possibility.
Don't worry the chance of positivity is very less in your case, but ruling out the possibility of HIV by undergoing the test will remove the tension.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.