Had unprotected intercourse. Took ipill. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
pregnancy dear doctor,
i am 25 years old and have a serious relation with a girl who is 24, 5"2' 43 kg and has no medical history as such. recently om 28 july we got intimate but we dint have real sex. i dint penetrate her but just rubbed my genitals against her. probably a few drops of my semen touched her vagina and she rubbed it off immediately. i gave her an ipill 6 hrs after the accident.

i am very tensed if there is any chance of her getting pregnant out of this?

if there is what should we do after? is it safe to use abortion pill?

will her period get late due to taking i pill?

her period finished on 25th july and she generally has 28 days cycle and her next period is due on 17th or 18th of this month.

expecting to hear from you very soon.

thank you

XXXXXX.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later
hi XXXXXX,

-as per the history given by you there is less chance for pregnancy as she also taken emergency pill.

-i pill will alter the menstrual cycle, as she took the pill in the first half of the cycle it can prepone her cycles.

-if she doesn't get her periods by expected date you can go for blood test for pregnancy once to rule out the possibility,
if test comes positive(though there is less possibility) you better consult gynecologist for ultrasound examination to rule out the possibility of ectopic pregnancy, after that with your doctor's advice tablets for medical termination of pregnancy can be taken.
taking abortion pill without consulting doctor and ruling out ectopic pregnancy is XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Took ipill. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 36 minutes later
thank you doctor. if her period gets postponed in case for how much time should we wait before going to a gynae?

cna you please tell me the odds of her being pregnant in some numbers say lumpsum percentage?

is it safe for her to take abortion pill even after consultation of gynae and how much is the approximate cost of the med.
if there is ectopic pregnancy as said by you what is ita treatment and what are the money aspects of the treatment? is it a frequent disorder?
thank you

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

as I told there is possibility for preponement of periods, if at all she doesn't get her periods on expected date, you can wait for 1 week, then you can go for urine test or preferably blood test for pregnancy.

as she took emergency pill within 6 hours there is almost 90% of protection rate against pregnancy.

usually medical termination of pregnancy with abortion pill is safe only, sometimes she may have incomplete abortion which should be dealt with D&C.
the cost will be around 500Rs, depends on company.

in case of ectopic pregnancy laparoscopic surgery or laparotomy can be done, the cost depends on the hospital you choose, this is not frequent but if occurs that can rupture and can cause surgical emergency.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Took ipill. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 8 hours later
thank you doctor. is there any way to determine pregnancy status before her periods

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

blood test for pregnancy can detect pregnancy 8 to 10 days after ovulation(or date of intercourse), but for accurate results better to wait till the expected date of periods.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Took ipill. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 9 hours later
will urine pregnancy test be able to give accurate results 8-10 days after intercourse? one of my friends said the reults are correct by a home pregnancy kit after 8 to 10 days of intercourse as hcg level is enough to be detected.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

urine pregnancy test kits usually will not be that much effective to detect early pregnancy and sometimes they can give false positive results,
so at the early stage better to go for blood test.
if you still want to try urine pregnancy test kit you can go for better company kits like from cipla, ranbaxy etc

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Took ipill. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 5 hours later
her urine test result is negative. is it fine or should we repeat the test again? in how much time report of blood test is available?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later
hi,

it is early to do the test now, as there is almost 14 days time for her expected date of periods and also it is not even 10 days over after intercourse, so you better wait for 10 more days for accurate result and to prevent repeating the tests.

time taken to receive the result of blood test varies from lab to lab, it can range from hours to days.