Had unprotected intercourse. Took contraceptive pill. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

Hi, i feel ashamed with this predicament as its never happened to me before, but i had unprotected sex after a night out. I took the one step emergency contraceptive pill 12 hours after intercourse, what chances of not being pregnant? My periods start in 2 weeks time and it happened on the 26th this month. Taken the pill has made my boobs tender but i have never felt nauseas or had diarrhoea and at present i have had no bleeding. Obviously i am very dubious wether its worked or not and if not wether to do a pregnancy test. Apologise for my ignorance. Very worried after this stupid mistake that it is the worst case scenario. Thank you for your time.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As per your history, you have taken emergency contraceptive pill after 12 hrs of unprotected course.

Pregnancy is avoided if pill is taken within 72 hrs of unprotected intercourse; so no need to worry.

You already started periods also on 26 of this month. Bleeding being started for 2 days of periods makes pregnancy unlikely as implantation will not occur.

Even though you have tender boobs, it can be the result of hormonal imbalance due to emergency contraceptive pill intake.

Do not worry.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any other doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.