Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi

I tested negative on a hiv duo 5 weeks after the latest incident and a week after that so at 6 weeks I tested again and negative.

I also tested negative for every STD.

I just got home from a hiv duo test at 11.5 weeks after the last possible risk event which was oral sex with non bleeding abrasion on my penis and giving oral sex to a girl without tasting blood etc with a normal thai girl who said she did not have hiv and never had a broken condom and said she tested negative 3 months before that. But she does give oral sex without condom.

It is 12.5 weeks after a possible unprotected sexual contact with a sex worker but I dont remember having sex so I probably did not have sex since I have never forgotten anything while drunk and I dont think I wont remember such a thing.

It is 14 weeks after a fully broken condom with a thai sex worker while having bad skin irritation non STD on my penis and groin and the girl tested negative in the hospital with a antibody test.

The test is roughly 54 days after first noticing possible ars symptom such a swollen lymphnodes in neck and groin and fever feeling.

The painless swollen lymphnodes are still here and I tested negative for EBV virus. The lymphnodes are 1 to 2cm. I also still feel tired and have a lump in throat. I dont have swollen tonsilis.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 days later
Hi dear,

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to other viral diseases apart from EBV and HIV .
Also few bacterial disease can cause lymphadenopathy.

It can also be reactive lymph node swelling due to infection.

AS the HIV test is negative there is nothing to be worried about .

Also a Re HIV testing at 3 months of exposure will confirm negative status.

A short course of antibiotics after proper physical examination would be helpful.

Also complete blood count , ESR, Hemoglobin , testing would be needed.

If you need any further clarification please let me know.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome 3 hours later
Hi

All my blood counts were normal after 5 weeks and 11 weeks after exposure and stayed the same
Dr said there were no signs of infections or whatever
4 months ago my wbc increased with 56% (to 7800 normal is 5000) and neutrophils were 80% total and lymphocyte were 11% I had diahreaa and dr in thailand wasnt worried

I still have a sore throat this couldnt not be hiv related right? Since it has been 12 weeks since last exposure?

If I expierenced ars after 4 weeks than I would gotten a positive resuls after 5 weeks 6 weeks and 11 weeks at hiv duo right or not?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

Sore throat is not related to HIV.Or the HIV duo would have been positive.

HIV is usually associated with increased lymphocytes and total count.

Person usually has low grade fever of long duration. Associated cough/diarrhea/weight loss/skin rashes . As you dont have any of the above you need not worry.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome 16 minutes later
Hi

Thanks
Do your perhaps have any advice how to get rid of my dry throat?
I tried breathing through my nose and used nose spray but nothing seems to help

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi again,

Dry throat can be due to allergic , cold weather , repeated yelling.

Just try gargles with lukewarm water.

Also you can take honey to ease out throat.

Hope this helps.

If you have liked my answer please indicate it by rating the answer in the end.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome 7 minutes later
Sorry

I will try that

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 minute later
HI

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome 9 minutes later
Hi

Sorry one more question
You said lymphnodes could swell due infection

But there was no infection according to my bloodwork and dr said bloodwork was no sign for infection

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 minutes later
Hi again,

Lymph nodes can get enlarged due to infectious and non infectious causes.

Non infectious causes include reactive conditions, lymphatic obstruction ,tumours etc.

Also infection may cause lymph node swelling and may not show on blood work.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Tested negative for HIV and STD. Having swollen lymphnode. Worrisome 1 minute later
One more thing

do you think lymph nodes stay swollen after ars or go away

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,

lymph nodes will go away in couple of months.

Hope this helps.

Do you think shortly after lymphnodes antibodies will be detectable?
Lymphnodes swollen 4 weeks than test 5 weeks hiv duo and 6 weeks hiv duo and 11 weeks duo

Im scared that my lymphnodes are only a little bit swollen and not so much antibodies
Are antibodies only detectable after lymphnodes are not swollen anymore?
Im so sorry

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi again,

lymph node swelling and antibodies have nothing to do with each other. Both are independent of each other. As you have got negative hiv duo test there is nothing to be worried about. Lymph node swelling will go away in weeks 2months.
Hope this helps.

Regards.