Had unprotected intercourse. Noticed red dot on penis. What are the chances of having STD?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Two nights ago I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend of one year. Today, I noticed a single, 1mm, red "dot" on the head of my penis. It does not itch, is not filled with fluid, or give off any odor. My girlfriend had been tested for STD's roughly 6 months ago and all of her tests came back negative. What could this potentially be?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Thanks for the query
.
You wrote that your girl friend had been tested for STDs 6 months back. First of all, all the STDs cannot be tested by blood tests alone. There are more than 30 STDs and only a handful of STDs which are concerning are ruled out by test. Others are diagnosed by careful examinations, Vaginal and urethral smear examinations and culture of these organisms. It is a very tedious procedure and very expensive to rule out all these thing.

A red dot on your penis following intercourse may either be an early lesion of any ulcerative STD or may be an inflammatory reaction of any irritant or yeast infection. We need to monitor the progress of the lesion and if fresh symptoms occur it needs to be investigated.

So do watch the dot and attend a STD clinic for examination and investigation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Noticed red dot on penis. What are the chances of having STD? 26 minutes later
Thank you for the response. In regard to monitoring the progress - what specifically should I be looking for?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 17 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Specifically, you should be looking for an enlargement in the size of the dot, accumulation of any fluid, formation of any ulcer and any kind of discharge from the fluid. Appearance of fresh dots also needs to be looked for.
I hope that answers your query. i'll be happy to answer any more concerns.
If you do not have any more questions, please close this discussion.