Had unprotected intercourse. Missing periods. What are the chances of pregnancy?

My girlfriend missed her period by 1 day and she is panicking as I am too. She is thinking that she might be pregnant. Yes we had sex 8 days ago without a condom but I didn't ejaculate in her. I pulled out long before i did ejaculate. Is it possible that the period is late because she has a wisdom tooth coming out or stress or is it something else? could it be that she put a bit of weight? yesterday she told me that her lower abdomen was hurting, but not to much. But every time she had her period she always gets pain in her abdomen. Yes she's going to do a pregnancy test still. Please do reply as we need an answer from a professional Doctor. Thanks and regards XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 21 minutes later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, often due to stress (modulation in the hormones) the cycles get irregular. The lower abdominal pain could be due to many reasons as well as related to her cycles. As rightly stated will recommend she performs the Pregnancy test to check the presence of ‘hcg (human chorionic gonadotropin)’ hormone in the urine. If this hormone is there in the urine then one is ‘definitely’ pregnant. It has been observed that the concentration of HCG shows continuous rising trends, specially during the early stage of maternity, hence HCG is a perfect way to know about the status of pregnancy. All you are required to put three drops of your morning urine on the test strip. Wait for five minutes and check the color of the strip. If you find two pink colors on the strip then you are pregnant. And, if you find that there is only one pink color on the strip then you are not pregnant. The presence of HCG in the urine is guaranteed for a pregnant woman when urine is there in the bladder for at least 4 hours. Hence, it is advisable to use this strip with morning urine. Remember to check results on the strip within 5 to 10 minutes for accurate prediction and not after few hours. Will also recommend to show to your clinician in case of any concerns. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks