Had unprotected hand job. HIV COMBO test negative. Can these results be considered as conclusive?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I had an unprotected hand job few months back and was advised that no testing is necessary as it was a low risk encounter. However for my peace of mind I have done HIV COMBO test( serum by CMIA) eighty days after a incident of unprotected handjob.The result has come negative ( 0.11)Can these results be considered as conclusive?is more testing necessary? I had protected intercourse with my wife after the test, is that safe?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome back to XXXXXXX

Once again I affirm you that a hand job has not at all having any risk towards HIV.
It is well and good that you had your HIV test to rule out the possibility of HIV.
HIV Combo 4th generation test is most specific and sensitive test for HIV detecting both Antigen and Antibodies. The result will be reliable from 3 weeks onward and doubly sure after 12 weeks as it ruled out the possibility of HIV through the absence of both Antigen and Antibody. It is more conclusive as you had it after almost more than 11 weeks. Feel happy that there is no possibility of HIV with you and you can have unprotected sex with your wife.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had unprotected hand job. HIV COMBO test negative. Can these results be considered as conclusive? 5 hours later
Thanks Doctor. That is very reassuring. The Combo 4th generation test carried out on 81st day( 12th week), I assume is as good as completed 12 weeks(84 days) test. Your quick word of confirmation will be helpful so that I can put the whole mentally taxing incident behind me once & for all and do not undergo any more test in future.

Thanks in anticipation. Regards,

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
The 4 th generation tests are highly reliable and conclusive by 3 weeks itself.81 days are not necessary to confirm the same as antigen part of the test is more specific. So I assure you that you are absolutely free from HIV and you can have unprotected sex with your wife confidently
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had unprotected hand job. HIV COMBO test negative. Can these results be considered as conclusive? 17 hours later
Thanks for reassurance. I therefore follow your advice and conclude that no more tests are required as the combo test was most specific and sensitive and was done well after considerable time beyond its normal 3 weeks period.

Thanks once again for the advice.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
You are most welcome.
If you don't have any more questions kindly close the conversation.
Dr S.Murugan