Had unmedicated iui. Can the sperm be washed out while in shower?

I had an unmedicated IUI yesterday to try to conceive.
Today, I was in the shower and checked my cervical position a few times by inserting a finger. I also "pushed" a bit to see if I could feel cervical mucus. Do you think this washed away the sperm and ruined my chances of pregnancY?

Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the question.

The answer is absolutely not. Remember that IUI stands for 'intrauterine insemination' meaning that the sperm are injected into the uterus beyond the cervix. Viable healthy sperm will have moved well into the uterus and to the tubes by the time you got home to take a shower and certainly by the next day!! You have done no harm!

Please let me know if this answers your question and if you have additional questions, let me know !
Follow-up: Had unmedicated iui. Can the sperm be washed out while in shower? 26 hours later
Thank you. Good to know.

This is very strange, but I had my IUI on Monday (two days ago), and yesterday and today already have pregnancy symptoms. I've been pregnant twice before, so there's no mistaking the metallic taste and sore breasts. I know this feeling.

My last pregnancy was a twin pregnancy that sadly ended in abortion. However, I had the same strong pregnancy symptoms only 1 or 2 days after conception. There were no fertility drugs...this was natural.

So of course I'm thinking I have twins again. I thought it wasn't possible to have pregnancy symptoms this early? What causes them?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 35 minutes later
If you had IUI 2 days ago that actually resulted in a pregnancy there is no way that you can have pregnancy symptoms yet- the fetus(es) would not even have implanted in the uterus yet. While I do not doubt your symptoms, perhaps they are hormonally mediated. They symply cannot be explained as related to a new implanted pregnancy.