Had undergone surgery for eye. No difference in visibility. What to do?

May 2014

I had undergone a surgery for my eye, but i stil do not find any difference in visibility. Can you please help me why is it so
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later

As per your information, you are a 24 years old young lady, seeking answers on visibility improvement post surgery.

May I request you to please add more details on your eye problem (since when you were having such problem), surgery details (operation details) and how long back exactly you underwent the surgery?

I would be pleased to give you an answer based on your updated information.

Awaiting further details.

Dr Vivek
Follow-up: Had undergone surgery for eye. No difference in visibility. What to do? 2 days later

Thank you for your response.

I underwent a surgery for my left eye, because i found myself difficult in visibility. Later few doctors predicted that it is keratoconous. So i got my left operated in Decemeber. When i told the doctors that i dont find any difference in the visibilty, they said there will be no difference, Because we have done the operation not for visibilty, but to thicken the layer which is thin.

Have you come across any patients like this facing the same problem. Or is it only for me in this case.

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in with updated information.

Going by what you have mentioned, the second surgery was either

1.     A collagen cross linking procedure also called C3R, which is a noninvasive outpatient procedure using a Laser,

2.     A keratoplasty in which cornea from another source is stitched to your cornea in a surgery in the operating theatre.

With above details probably you will be able to assess which of the procedures was done on your left eye.

Keratoconus is a progressive condition which thins the cornea to a great extent making vision extremely blurred at later stages. In order to prevent the progression to such an extreme stage, the cornea is thickened so that it stops thinning like a stretched piece of rubber.

Both these procedures mentioned above halt any further deterioration of vision but don't improve the existing vision. C3R is done for early and mild cases, whereas keratoplasty for advanced and severe cases.

And with regards to your question whether you are the only person with no improvement in vision, well, the majority of people have same outcome as you.

If it is a C3R that you have undergone, chances are that you will get good working vision with contact lens.

If it is a Keratoplasty, which is done in advanced cases of keratoconus, vision will be slightly improved with good follow up with your ophthalmologist and a good contact lens.

Hope your questions have been answered.

Further questions are welcome and please do provide me the details of the type of surgery you underwent as that will help me explain better.

If you do not have any questions, I request you to please close this thread and post a feedback.

Dr Vivek