Had umbilical hernia surgery repair, noticed redness below umbilicus, no pain. Is it hematoma?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i had umbilical hernia surgery repair on tuesday May 28. Early this morning I went to void and noticed dark redness below the umbilicus 2 inches in length and 1 inch wide. No pain in the area that is unusual - only when I get up and down out of bed. No abnormal warmth in the area either. I am a little concerned and undecided if I should get this looked at. I would feel silly if it was just a hematoma that I had looked at.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

Yes, it really looks like subcutaneous hematoma which is expected to develop after such procedures. It will get resolved in several days and you don't have to be concerned about this.

You can apply heparine gel to facilitate resorption, but as I said it will heal spontaneously. Just rest for few days, don't do moves that contract abdominal musculature such as crouching and heavy weight lifting.

There is always possibility that it will become infected haematoma or wound so if you notice pus secretion, spreading redness, pain in rest, or fever you should visit doctor and start antibiotic treatment.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.