Had typhoid and dengue. Facing hair loss problem. Cause and cure?

Hi Doctor, I'm a 17 year old teenager. I had typhod and dengue at a time 5 years back ever since then I had got this hair loss problem. Like whenever I brush my hair it seems the entire place wherever i was brushing my hair getts all hairy every where. Only for this reason bolded my head 4-5 times just to get rid of this problem. But its totally no use. I've tried several natural remedies like onion paste, hot oil massage, XXXXXXX yogurt, raw egg applying on my head but it didn't help at all. I'm just hopeless now. What do I do? Please help me.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 23 days later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Normally after an episode of illness the hair loss returns to normal in few months. So an illness 5 years before should not be the cause of your hair loss.

I think you are aware of the fact that a normal individual looses around 100 hairs in a day. So you must be having this normal hair loss. You may try and count on a particular day and see, so that you can be assured of the same.

If you think you are losing more than this normal hair loss then other causes should be looked into. One basic thing is your nutritional status. Improve your nutrition with plenty of fruits, vegetables etc. Eat a balanced diet. If you are on a diet to reduce weight or keep your weight under control see that you get a balanced diet XXXXXXX in carbohydrate, proteins, minerals and vitamins.

If you are anemic (that is your hemoglobin is low) then you may have to get it corrected. This is another common cause of anemia. So if your palms, soles or tongue are pale then get your Hb%. If this is low your doctor will prescribe iron supplementation.

Various other disorders can also cause hair loss. It could be hypothyroidism or skin infection there. But from your history I could not get a clue of anything like that.

Stress can also cause or exacerbate hair loss. In fact stress regarding your hair loss can also be responsible for hair loss. So do not worry about losing hair. Meditation, Yoga, relaxation exercises, prayer etc will help to have reduce stress.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.