Had two veins removed from leg. Have soreness where the stitch is and a lump with a white spot. Is it normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi.Dr I had two veins removed from my leg 3 weeks ago.I had all disolveable stitches put in, on the front of my leg(shin) I have a lump about an inch wide wit a kinda white spot on it,its soar when im walking and on the back of my leg(calf) I have soarness 3inches wide where a stitch is,Ihave squeezed this and a very dark colour blood came out,Can you help me please,
thanks Pat
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
During the course of venous surgery the vessels are avulsed. If tight and firm compression dressing is not given then a hematoma(blood clot) can result which is exactly what you have described. That can cause irritation and can also cause XXXXXXX venous thrombosis.
The area needs to be cleaned. If there is a blood clot then that has to be evacuated.This should be followed by a firm elastocrepe bandage.
It would also be advisable to get a doppler done to rule out XXXXXXX venous thrombosis to be on the safer side in view of the soreness which you are experiencing behind.
I would prudent to consult the attending surgeon / local PCP in this situation.
I hope this answers your query.
With regards