Had two total knee replacements. Knee still swollen and hurting. Leg crooked. What to do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had 2 total knee replacements in the same knee. Although my motion is better now, my knee is still swollen and hurting after 20 months. Also, my leg is crooked. Is there anything that can be done for me?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a new X-ray done

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Thanks for your query.

Crooked leg after knee replacement could be due to malalignment of implant.It takes a long time to adjust to new geometry. As there is still swelling. pain and crooked leg after 20 months, I suggest you to get a new X-ray done to see the alignment and make sure it is not beginning to loosen.
If you have access to a physiotherapist ask if there is anything you can do to compensate for the difference. Over time the muscles and soft tissues may compensate.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.