Had two fraxel non ablative procedures. Rough looking skin near eyes and cheeks. Could I use dermapen?

I had two fraxel non ablative (Reliant SR 1500) procedures " first treatment was done on the lowest setting, and the second was bumped up just a little bit and was more aggressive than the first treatment " done to my whole face for mild acne scars and some rough looking skin near my eyes and on my cheeks, the second procedure being about 7 months ago. The end results were that I don't think It was really affective for either of the Issues that I was looking to Improve and It may have made my rough looking skin look even worse. I was wondering If the professional use of a dermapen would help to correct these Issues due to the fact that It can be set to penetrate your skin up to 2.5mm?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes dermapen will help.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic
Both the laser as well as dermapen works on the principle of collagen remodelling because of tissue injury. I will help you to decide and ultimately decision is yours. Both modalities are good.
Dermapen is cheaper and as you mentioned above by setting it to 2.5 we can go deeper. Reliant SR 1500 goes 1 mm deep. But then you mentioned that your acne scars are only mild, so the question arises whether we need to go that deep. Dermapen cannot be used over the skin near your eyes at a setting of 2.5 mm. The redness, swelling and pain lasts longer in dermapen, that means more down time.

Laser is costlier but has less down time. The collagen induction is better by laser than micro needling. With proper adjustment of setting it is superior to dermapen. With every sitting the intensity or the number of passes are increased.

One thing you should realize is that scar is a scar and both the procedures can just improve it and will never become smooth and normal.
In my practice I always combine modalities like subcision, micro needling and lasers so that patient gets maximum benefit because scars are of different types. So there is nothing wrong in trying three to four sittings of dermapen .
Hope this helped
Follow-up: Had two fraxel non ablative procedures. Rough looking skin near eyes and cheeks. Could I use dermapen? 2 hours later
Ok..I had a dermatologist say that the Reliant SR 1500 on its lowest setting can penetrate the dermal layer up to 3mm on the lowest setting. I just wanted to see If that was the case because that seemed like an extreme amount for just being the lowest settings?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not very sure about that.

Detailed Answer:
I have experience with fractional erbium glass laser for scars. I researched about Reliant SR 1500 and found that it penetrates 1 mm. However I am not absolutely sure. But even if it is 1 mm the stimulation for collagen remodelling by the laser is superior to dermapen. In my opinion combining different procedures gives better results. That is why i recommended you to take dermapen sessions.
Hope I have answered your query.