Had two different sexual partners during ovulation. Whose sperm has made me pregnant?

just wondering,
I am currently 7 months pregnant, and I have a question about ovulation. My LMP was 10/9/2011 and My cycle length was 25 days apart exactly each and every time i got my period as I had been tracking it, and I went online to figure out what day i may have ovulated on. My doctor gave me a day of 10/23/2011 but I believe she used the average length cycle instead of my individual cycle length. So I believe my day of ovulation may have been on a different day. I had a situation where intercourse on the 21st of October repeatedly one day then the next day 22nd October i had a different sexual partner but it was brief. which sperm is more likely to reach the egg first? I seem to lean towards the potential father being on the 21st since the sperm had probably already traveled up into my body. What is the probability?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

I understand your concern. But it is difficult to determine the paternity based on the date of ovulation. The reason being:
1. When there is sexual relationship with 2 partners within 24 hours, one cannot say for sure which sperm fertilized the egg as each sperm have different characteristic of speed, motility, structure.
2. Though one can predict the date of ovulation by calculation if periods are regular, it may not be constant every time.

Paternity issue can be solved only by DNA testing later.

Hope I have provided you with enough information pertaining to your query. Let me know if you want to know anything else; you are most welcome to follow up.

Best wishes and take care
Follow-up: Had two different sexual partners during ovulation. Whose sperm has made me pregnant? 58 minutes later
ok, thank you. I have reviewed some pre natal dna testing? is that accurate? its the type that requires a blood draw from the mother and father. The company claims the baby's blood is found in the mother's dna, is this accurate?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Yes, there is a non invasive technique in which baby's DNA is found in mother's blood I read it. To be honest I have not ordered or heard any physician in this region ordering it. Its availability is questionable in all genetic centres. This test has legalities and should be expensive.

It is better to take the blood from umbilical cord for DNA testing.

All the paternity tests involve legal issues. You have to fill a form as per the laws of the state.

Hope this answers your query.

Best wishes,