Had tumour removed. Getting hot flashes, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Any solution?

Question
I had a rare type of tumor removed in 2009 called a hybernoma it was in the retroperitoneum. Recently, the last few months I have been having spells of hot flashes, and also spells of dizziness, weakness, lightheadedness, nausea and occasionally vomiting. The spells happen more often after eating but not always and can also last for hours and are very draining, making me tired and energy-less for days sometimes. I also have a lot of bloating after eating, even with small meal sizes and have lost a decent amount of weight in the last 6 months.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
thanks for the query.

Hibernoma is a benign fatty tumor with an excellent clinical prognosis after surgery and hardly will your symptoms be due to a re-occurrence of the tumor if at all it re-occurs.

Your symptoms are suggestive of an ulcer disease and particularly gastric ulcer disease.Gastric ulcer results from excessive action of acid produced in gastric juice and or the presence of Helicobacter pylori a bacterium that lives in the acidic environment of the stomach there by causing ulcer disease.

Gastric ulcer disease typically presents with weight loss in the long run, pains after long periods without food relieve by antacids and also provoke by certain food stuff and antiinflamatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Vomiting and headaches are also characteristic in acute cases.

You should see a doctor for evaluation and for possible endoscopy to visualized the oesopahgus, stomach and duodenal mucosae to check for ulcers and rule out tumors or abnormal growth, H. pylori serology test to test for the presence of the H. pylori bacterium, complete blood count and other possible tests.

If the H. pylori of endoscopy results confirm peptic ulcer disease you will be put on a combination of drug regiment to eradicate the H. pylori and could include; omeprazole, amoxicilline, metronidazole, clarithromycin etc.

Meanwhile, a diet modification is important and should take note of food that provokes symptoms, avoid gassy and alcoholic drinks, avoid anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen, eat regularly, drink water frequently etc.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be ready to help,
Best regards

Follow-up: Had tumour removed. Getting hot flashes, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Any solution? 12 hours later
Any chance of stomach cancer? Just wondering as it does run in the family, i know the rest would need to be ruled out first but just wondering of the possibilities as the whole thing does drain my energy severely and makes me just want to lay in bed and sleep.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
thanks once more for the query.

Chronic gastric ulcer disease can lead to dysplasia of mucosal cells of the stomach which in the long run becomes malignant or cancerous. In as much as chronic gastric ulcer can cause weight loss, marked weight loss is an indicative to rule out more severe complications such as cancer which i earlier didn't want to scare you of by using the term tumor.
However, you need an endoscopy and H. pylori serology tests as earlier mentioned.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards

Follow-up: Had tumour removed. Getting hot flashes, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Any solution? 1 hour later
Thanks Achuo! The word "tumor" does not scare me as I have been through that once before but I will follow-up with my docs and your suggestions, thanks for the help! Would stomach cancer show in a CT Scan of abdomen and pelvis? I have to do a yearly one anyway to followup on my hibernoma

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
thanks once more for the query.

Yes a gastric cancer will show up in a CT scan. It is used to evaluate the extend of spread of a cancer or for disease staging and it is useful once the diagnosis of the organ concern has been made by endoscopy and biopsy.
CT scan shows the level of loco-regional spread as well as spread to lymph nodes.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards and wish you a speedy recovery.