Had tubectomy after c-section. Safe to use sauna belt. Stomach looks shaggy. Suggest ways to reduce the stomach area and tighten the skin?

Hello Doctor,
My wife recently delivered second baby and got the tubectomy done at the same time of delivery. Both deliveries were on C-section / Ceserian. Now its been around 5th month in-progress.

Question -
1. Is it safe to use Sauna belt / other devices to reduce the tummy line.
If not can you suggest some process to undergo so that she can reduce the tummy area .
2. Her stomach still looks shaggy and has not been tightened yet despite she uses the maternity panty as suggested by the Gynac. How long does it takes to resume back to original look.
3. She stated some sort of pain in her breast, the pain disappeared after couple of days. Is this is common during feeding

Please suggest if you have any other suggestions to reduce the tummy line and tightened the skin.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

I understand your concern. Weight gain and abdominal laxity is a common symptom following pregnancy and delivery. You haven't mentioned your wife's current height and weight though.

Now, let me answer your individual questions:

1. Commercial products such as Sauna belt and others promise weight reduction/abdominal girth reduction effectively. However there are no robust scientific evidence to prove it's claim. I wouldn't recommend any such products to my patient for weight management.

2. Though there no serious damages reported with the products used, I don't feel they are cost effective for weight management.

3. She should consider the old method of diet and exercise. I am sure you will find a good diet plan from a nutritionist with less than half the cost of commercial product. She can implement on those dietary changes. Coupled with cardioexercise - brisk walking, jogging, thread mill, cycling or swimming, you will see her fit in a few months.
Note that, I do not find any reasons why she should not start exercise, however discuss with her gynecologist before she steps into those jogging shoes.

4. The best way to strengthen lax abdominal wall is again by exercise. Abdominal wall strengthening exercise can be practiced under professional guidance for faster and safer improvement.

5. Breast soreness and tenderness is common during lactation. It is very often due to engorged glands. Try warm compress and encourage more breast feeds to reduce the incidence and severity of such pains.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.