Had tube removed right ear. Diagnosed hole in ear drum. Recommended hearing aid. Suggestions?

I had a tube removed from my right ear. Went to my ENT doctor as I felt like I had something in my ear. He took the tube out in his office and informed me I had a hole in my ear drum and the feeling I was experiencing was due to hear loss. He sent for a hearing test. The person doing the test would not recommend a hearing aid because of the hole. My doctor said i could get a hearing aid. Been four weeks since tube out and hole has not healed. I am thinking about seeing another doctor. Would appreciate any help you can give me. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A fairly good percentage of the population have holes in their ear drums but never notice. Some do hear well and others do not. the hearing depends on the size and duration of the whole. Some of these wholes heal spontaneously and others might require surgery. Surgery must be carefully considered for it is at times associated with complications, mores severe than the hearing disorder itself.

In your case, management shall actually depend on the degree of hearing loss and the size of the whole. I think if the hearing loss is remarkable, it could be a good idea to get the hearing aids. A careful consideration for surgery is an option. However, considering the fact that the duration of the whole is actually not well known, the complications of surgery, It is a good and valid idea to try hearing aids first.

Thanks and hope this helps. However, the clinical evaluation, experience and hearing capacity results are key determinants in making a choice in therapy. The ENt specialist should be seen. I strongly advocate for hearing aids for now. If they fail, surgery or other specialized options should be tried. wishing you good health.

Kind regards, Bain LE, MD.