Had tubal ligation. Missing periods. Could I be pregnant?

Excellent
Question
Hi I had a tubal ligation three years ago. My cycle has been regular since. This month I did not get my cycle but had had light pink and brown discharge but still no period. Now I am having a clear discharge with no pain or anything. Could I possibly be pregnant? I am also 40. Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about the delay!

First of all, the chance of pregnancy is extremely low, but given that it is remotely possible AND you had an aberrant cycle, I would recommend doing a pregnancy test just to be sure. Yes you could be pregnant, but the chances are remote!

Second, this might just be peri-menopausal changes. The most common symptoms are, in fact, cycle irregularity and the occasional hot flash. This is related to a drop in estrogen levels that occurs naturally over time.

With regard to the concern about antibiotics in pregnancy, don't worry about this unless you are actually pregnant. If you are pregnant (unlikely) then ask this as an additional question with the names of the medications that you used.

I hope this helps!!

Follow-up: Had tubal ligation. Missing periods. Could I be pregnant? 1 hour later
If I do not get my cycle in November...what should I consider? The hot flashes only occured a few times before my cycle was to begin. Should I make other doctors aware of my concern that I am currently under the care of as a result of the accident? And what tests can be done to find out for sure?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 18 hours later
Hello and thank you for the followup. I am sorry about the significant delay!

If you do not get your cycle in November, one way to "induce" a cycle is to give you a short course of progesterone (Provera 10mg for 10 days) after which you will get a period. If the problem tends to be recurrent, you could consider regulartion of your cycle with birth control pills.

The tests that should be done related to missing a cycle or irregular bleeding would include:
1. A pregnancy test
2. A test of thyroid function (TSH)
3. A test of a hormone called prolactin (when elevated causes irregular cycles)

I do not think that anyone needs to be updated except your primary doctor who I would recommend calling. Perhaps they could schedule you for a visit and a check of these labs. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Please also take a moment to leave feedback!

Thanks for getting back to me. Is it possible for women to get a negative result if they have had tubals because the level of pregnacy hormone can npf be detected yet? I have heard of women finding out that they are preggers @ seven Weeks and had negative test
s before. Is that possible?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 52 minutes later
No this is not possible. If someone was actually pregnant at 7 weeks, the hCG level would be detectable. In this case, if the urine test was negative, then I would think that it was a false-negative (not all tests are perfect). The other possibility is a pregnancy that was failing, like a miscarriage, where the hCG levels had fallen to zero.

Having had a tubal would have no effect on the HCG level and rise in a healthy pregnancy.

Please take a moment to leave feedback and good luck!