Had triple bypass done and had swelling in leg. Treated with antibiotics as suspected cellulite. Suggested elastic stocking

Question
I had triple bypass done 11 weeks ago. all was fine until the leg that the vein was taken out started to swell around week 7. I was treated over a four week period with antibiotics as cellulitus was suspected but was proved not the case.now they have suggested that i wear an elastic stocking im not sure if this is permanant. what has gone wrong
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later
Hi XXXXX

I am sorry about the post-operative complication. It seems like you developed a cellulitis and that has been treated. However, the vein seems to be stripped and is likely ruptured. Perhaps this is the reason why you are asked to wear the elastic stocking. It should heal in time. However, cannot be 100% cured unless you consult a skilled vascular surgeon who could restore the vein to its original state.

This will improve over time and need not be permanent.

I hope this is clear to you. Let me know if you need further guidance in this regards.

Take care!

Follow-up: Had triple bypass done and had swelling in leg. Treated with antibiotics as suspected cellulite. Suggested elastic stocking 12 hours later
if the vein was taken out from the lower left leg to replace the bad vein in the heart surely the blood flow is taking a different route in the leg. also my XXXXXXX bone and ankle are sore. why is this. i wear the stocking during the day but when i wake in the morning although the foot is no longer swollen i am feeling pain as i said on the XXXXXXX bone and ankle . where is this pain coming from?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later
Hi XXXXX

The pain is probably coming from peripheral neuritis in view of your Type 2 Diabetic state together with the removal of the vein from the leg. Of course, alternate venous channels would have opened up the left leg. However, these would not be sufficient to drain the blood from the leg causing venous stasis and therefore the pain in shinbone and ankle.

You would benefit from using Gabapentin drug that is good for the nerves. Alternatively, you may consider taking Vitamin B 12 supplements that are good on the nerves too.

Continue to use the stockings and keep your legs elevated while you sleep using pillows underneath them.

Take care and get well soon.

Follow-up: Had triple bypass done and had swelling in leg. Treated with antibiotics as suspected cellulite. Suggested elastic stocking 42 hours later
The swelling has totally disappeared since wearing the stocking 6days in total and the pain in the XXXXXXX bone and ankle has lessened considerably. Is It still worthwhile to visit a vascular surgeon do you think. Also as I said my diabetes is well controlled. Will I have to wear the stocking on a permanent or a temporary basis. Thank you.
XXXXXXX XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later
Hi XXXXX,

I am happy that the swelling has totally disappeared. The stockings have worked for you.

You need not visit a vascular surgeon now as your symptoms are almost vanishing.

No, you need not wear the stocking on a permanent basis. You only have to use it for a few more days, and then use it only when required like if you develop swelling or pain in the XXXXXXX again.

Take care and wish you good health.