Had triple bypass. Gaining weight. Had GERD and fibromyalgia. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I am 61 and had triple bypass in Dec. 2011, I have been doing fine,but gained weight, although I am active with training dogs, helping alittle with horses and active in my community. My diet is good chicken and fish, meat on the weekend with a martini and very small portions, I cannot lose the weight. I do some regular excercise at the pool, but am not a "always good about getting there". I am a slacker, I am married for 28 yrs and have 2 great daughters a and 3 grandchildren. I have gerd and it is treated, as well as, fibromyalgia which is treated with muscle relaxer and a pain pill prn. I want an honest answer about life expectancy, if possible and everyone is nice and say not worry about that, well I need to, inorder to make future decisions. I know about the blood test that tell about trouble down the road, I have adaughter in med field. what are the chances of making it 80. I have been healthly all my life. Could someone please be honest and not just XXXXXXX me on the head. Thanks, XXXXX. PS I had my surgery at UVA HOSPITAL IN CHARLOTTESVILLSE, VA.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I will try to give you an honest straight forward answer about your situation, but I will require that you should be open minded about what I have to say. Looking at your medical history and also on your daily activities, there is nothing that could alter your life expectancy or shorten it. You do not have any severe illness that could of immediate threat to your life.
You seem to be living a healthy life (besides your present illnesses are quite under control) and I suggest you continue in that light.
You need to understand that there is no one that can give you precisely if you are going to die today or tomorrow, but your chances of reaching 80 to me are great if you continue living a good healthy life.
You do not seem to be suffering from any cancer or cardiovascular diseases as those are the diseases that can drastically shorten your life expectancy.
If you can see a doctor for complete physical evaluation (you can choose someone other than your daughter) so that you heart and other systems can be checked for proper functioning. Ones they are fine, you need not worry.
Routine medical check ups will also do you some help, so that any early signs of affection can be corrected.

Hope this was useful information.
Dr. Nsah