Ask a Dentist   »  

Had treatment for wisdom tooth. On medicine. Experiencing night sweats. Is this normal?

I had treatment for a wisdom tooth this past Tuesday. He didn't completely remove it, rather used laser treatment to get rid of the infected area. I have been on 150 mg of clindamycin to treat pericoronitis for five days. (Four pills per day). However, I am still experiencing extreme night sweats. Is this normal? My dentist said this is normal and that I just need to stay the course on the antiobiotic. The sweats are extreme and I just want to make sure everything is okay?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 44 minutes later

Welcome to healthcare magic!

Pericoronitis is the infection of deeper layer of tooth and with laser therapy it does not seem to be a challenging infection threat.
But you clinical status post procedure is speaking the contrary.
Sweating is important systemic sign of infection and should not be ignored when definite source of infection is there.
Clindamycin dose needs to be 300mg TDS and
I would also suggest to add tab. Cefixime 200 BD to cover gram negative organisms because those are also a possibility.
Take tab. Acetaminophen 500mg TDS/SOS if malaise and fever is a trouble.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!