Had treated mollescum. Now have small spots on body. Folliculitis? Herpes?

I had mollescum last year and it was treated. Probaly October.

Now i have 3 small spots - not white like the mollescum. I've attached photos. I noticed 1/2 last week when I trimmed. But just assumed it was folliculitis or something like that. They look worse on the photos than in real life.

I've has sex twice since January. Once unprotected but with someone who I would expect to be very clean. The other was protected but probably higher risk. This was maybe 3 weeks ago.

I've looked at herpes and they look nothing like this - they are not sore or red or shaped anything like that.

What do you think?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later

I have seen the picture carefully. I agree with your assumption of Folliculitis.

Herpes lesions are typically red, vesicular with fluid inside them and they are characteristically very painful. You say that they are neither sore nor red.

I wish to rule out Syphilis here. The only difference between Herpes and Syphilis would be that the lesions in Syphilis are non-painful.

Please get a VDRL (Venereal Diseases Research Laboratories) Test done to rule out Syphilis. If the test is negative, then it can be Folliculitis as you say or other non-specific infections.

The treatment for Syphilis is Penicillin and rest of the infections can be treated with antibiotics like Azithromycin and Cephalosporins.

Please do get back to me for clarifications.

Follow-up: Had treated mollescum. Now have small spots on body. Folliculitis? Herpes? 4 hours later
Thank you. I have booked an appointment for tomorrow.
You don't see it as mollescum?
If it's syphilis, does penicillin cure it? Or do I have it forever? And how long does it take to be cured?
I see this morning that they are looking a little smaller, possibly dried out a little.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 24 minutes later

No, I do not see it as Molluscum.

Syphilis can be cured, penicillin is the drug of choice for Syphilis till date and it cures the disease completely. You don't have the disease forever. It gets cured with treatment.

Primary, secondary and early latent Syphilis are cured by a single dose intramuscular administration of Benzathine penicillin G 2.4 million units.

Late latent Syphilis is cured by 3 doses of intramuscular administration of Benzathine penicillin G 2.4 million units at a weekly interval for 3 weeks.

The progress of these lesions suggests that they most probably may be Folliculitis.

A word of caution, always practice safe sex.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.