Had travel shots in arm. Have swollen lump under the skin in lower back of arm and hot to touch. Advise?

Dermatologist
Question
i had travel shots in my arm one month ago. I now have a swollen lump under the skin in lower back of arm (closer to elbow) where I was given a shot. There is a red circle and it is hot to the touch. I dont have a fever but itis painful when touched and feels like a small ball under the skin. I'm leaving for Africa this Saturday
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 minutes later
Thanks for the query,
Probably you have developed an abscess at the site.
That injection has caused an inflammatory response, which has lead to fibrosis and hence lump formation.

I would like to know what injection was given. I mean can you tell me the name of the injection?
You can do hot fomentation, that is warm a cloth and place it over the lump 5 to 6 times in a day.
In each sitting warm cloth should be applied for 5 minute.
This will soften the lump.
Later it can be slightly incised to drain.

you dont need to worry much, its not a severe condition.
Treatment can be delayed but cannot be ignored.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you

Follow-up: Had travel shots in arm. Have swollen lump under the skin in lower back of arm and hot to touch. Advise? 30 minutes later
it was either Thypoid, tetnus, polio, or mmr. I had some higher in shoulder and then some lower (not in muscle). It's the one lower that has caused the lump. I remember a burning feeling and soreness in that area for about two weeks after shot and then it went away. Now I have these symptoms. I plan to see my doctor today.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 39 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
I think it was tetanus, at that site, where you developed soreness.
you have developed an allergic reaction followed by an abscess.

Its good that you are visiting your doctor today.
I would advice you to get an X XXXXXXX to rule out development of calcification.

Let me know what your doctor says.
wishing you good health.
Thank you