Ask a Urologist   »  

Had transrectal prostate biopsy. Blood in urine. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello. I had a trans-rectal prostate biopsy10 days ago, my second in 8 weeks. I initially blood in my urine for a few days after and then as with my first biopsy it cleared up. Yesterday however it returned and is present in my urine today too. I otherwise feel well with no fever. Do I need to get checked out immediately or can I wait and see if it resolves in 24 - 48 hours?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hematuria is known after prostate biopsy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone prostate biopsy 10 days ago to confirm the diagnosis of cancer of the prostate.
and now yo are passing blood in urine.

It is common to pass blood in urine after prostate biopsy which gets resolved by taking antibiotics for few days.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics along with anti inflammatory medicine like Diclofenac twice daily.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.This will help to resolve your problem .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had transrectal prostate biopsy. Blood in urine. Should I be worried? 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Is amoxicillin considered a broad spectrum antibiotic? I have supply of that which I could start. I cannot see my Doctor till tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take Cefexine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Amoxycillin is not a broad spectrum antibiotics .You can take Cefexine which is more effective in Urinary diseases.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had transrectal prostate biopsy. Blood in urine. Should I be worried? 11 hours later
Thank you. Situation seems to be resolving. On 3 day course of antibiotic now.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a good sign.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Do not worry ,it normally gets resolved within few days as happened with you.
Please see that you take treatment for cancer of the prostate as advised by your Urologist.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.