Had total lap hysterectomy. Discharge has funky odor. Normal?

I had a total lap hysterectomy on the 25th, the discharge has a really funky odor, is that normal?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal if it is not foul smelling

Detailed Answer:

Abnormal odor could be due to local infection (Vault infection or cellulitis). Or sometimes if the vault is not closed completely, there could be some amount of vaginal discharge, which is absolutely NORMAL.

You need to be worried as the discharge is foul smelling. I would like to perform lab tests on the discharge sample to isolate the infective organism and treat it with appropriate antibiotic. Your treating doctor will know about the tests, therefore I recommend that you visit him/her at the earliest.

Untreated infection can cause more serious concerns, so make this visit at the earliest.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.

Wish you good health.
Dr Arif