Had total knee replacement, warmth in knee, burning sensation behind knee, using stretchout strap and ice pack, taking Tramadol

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had total knee replacement surgery in July 2011 on my right knee at age 74. I had earlier been a runner and had a ski injury 30 years earlier with this knee with a partial ACL tear treated with PT. One year later I still have a knee that gets hotter as the day wears on ...... from near normal in the AM. I often have a buning sensation behind my knee, some of this I had before the surgery. I can use a stretchout strap to get some temporary relief, and most nights I have to use an ice pack to get to sleep. I am taking 50MG Tramadol at night which helps with RLS and sleep, but some evenings I am completely miserable at bed time. My one year follow up found no infection, and my surgeon thought everything looked fine on the x-rays but this is really annoying.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Persistent burning sensation in the knee even one year after the surgery is likely to be due to a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause. Even if the X-rays of knee are normal, still the nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.
These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement. Going for a site of nerve involvement.
You can take some anti-inflammatory pain killer like acetaminophen and methylcobalamin supplements till you consult a neurophysician for specific treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.