Had total knee replacement surgery. Pumping anoles 50 x an hour swelling will come down. Guide

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just had total knee replacement 8days ago. Mypt said if I pump anoles 50 x an hour the swelling will go down. Will this work?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
Welcome at XXXXXXX

It looks from your details that you are asking that if you do ankle pump for fifty times an hour then your swelling will go down. Let me know if my assumption is wrong.

The ankle pumps are good exercises for swelling which occurs due to accumulation of fluid in lower leg. This is generally beneficial when you are unable to walk or inactive.
Ankle pumps helps in pumping blood flow to upper part of body & prevents the stagnation or accumulation of fluid in lower limb.

If you can do then it is good or you may take the help of available machines, which are available in market.You, should ask about this from your doctor or physical therapist.

Compression stockings will also help in reliving such swelling.

If this swelling continue to persist then get yourself investigated for presence of clot in veins. You may ask for some investigations like DOPPLER for this.

Hope this will help you.

With best wishes.