Had total knee replacement surgery. Having pain and swelling. Knee hurts when straighten. Suggest over the counter anti inflammatories?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, i am a 49 year old male had total knee replacement sept 10 generally doing well with good range of motion and i am able to do 30 to 40 minutes of physio every night, woke up sunday morning with pain and swelling i still have same range of motion but pain is a 3 on a scale of 5. Knee hurts if i try to straighten to fast

Did i overwork my knee, is this common in the first six weeks? Are there over the counter anti inflamatories i can take
I am in excellent health otherwise 5 11 around 210 pounds just a little concerned about being derailed for a few days
Your help is appreciated.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This a common finding after knee replecement.

Detailed Answer:
Intermittent pain, stiffness and swelling of the knee after a knee replacement surgery is a common finding. The complete healing of surgical wounds and XXXXXXX soft tissues usually take six months with regular pain relief medications and regular physiotherapy sessions.

The recovery is considered when the pain and swelling improves much beyond the arthritic pre-op pain level and dysfunction.
The symptoms that you are going through are normal after a knee replacement. These are not suggestive of any problem. Continued pain medications and regular physiotherapy will take care of your symptoms.
You can take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen three times a day after meals.
Do a hot fomentation at least thrice daily and elevate your legs as much as you can. By “elevate,” I mean having your feet higher than your hips.
If you do get a sharp pain that you haven’t had before, especially after exercise or physical therapy, there may be an inflammation in one of your muscles or ligaments. Be sure to make an appointment with your doctor if this happens.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.