Had total knee replacement, have swollen muscle near knee, taking pain killers. Advice?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I am 65 and had a total left knee replacement and a lateral release on 3 March 2012 and still have a swollen muscle on the left side of my knee which causes a lot of pain, especially at night. I've tried exercises, ice, heat and am having to take pain killers (Dioflenac and paracetomol). I have run out of options and am really being dragged down by the pain and bad nights. Do you have any advice? Many thanks. XXXXXX.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Since conservative treatment has failed to give you relief, your symptoms merit further investigation. An imaging study is required to assess if there is any problem.
There can be various issues. IMportant amongst them are,
1. The status of the prosthesis.
2. Any muscular instability.
3. Delayed Infection.
Therefore certain blood and radiological investigations are now necessary.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards

Follow-up: Had total knee replacement, have swollen muscle near knee, taking pain killers. Advice? 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I had a follow up xray and a blood test in late May and both were fine. Do you think I should get an MRI scan?

Best wishes

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX
If xray of the affected or operated knee was normal it suggests that there were no technical issues with the prosthesis. The cause of the swollen knee could then either be just an effusion or a fluid collection or a soft tissue swelling usually from the muscle. Both can be specifically picked up by an MRI. I would suggest that you go in for an MRI which as I had mentioned earlier would reveal the status of all the three elements in the replaced knee joint.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards