Had total knee replacement. Having pain. Tried PT, laser, graston, ART, acupuncture. Cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I had a total knee replacement in February of 2012. My knee has been swollen , painful and warm since then. I have tried 2 sessions of PT, laser, graston, ART. acupuncture and nothing has helped. I have trouble climbing stairs, and hearing crunching when I sit down and get up from a seated position. I have been referred to another OS who did arthroscopic surgery. Within three days the pain, swelling and warmth have returned. t the crunching has also returned. Do have any suggestions. Thank you,
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

After total knee replacement you might develop impinging soft tissue under the patella consistent with the "clunk" syndrome , impinging hypertrophic synovitis elsewhere in the knee , prosthesis loosening or wear , and arthrofibrosis . These conditions are responsible for having trouble climbing stairs and hearing crunching sound and pain.
Your orthopaedic surgeon had done the arthroscopic surgery to managing your problematic knee replacement, especially "clunks," to avoid revision of replacement.
I suggest you to give some rest to your knee after your arthroscopic surgery. Return of pain,swelling and warmth with 3 days of surgery might be due to inflammation associated after surgery. Take antiinflammatory drug as advised by your surgeon to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this will helps you .Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Had total knee replacement. Having pain. Tried PT, laser, graston, ART, acupuncture. Cure? 1 hour later
My OS did not prescribe any antibiotics. My knee feels the same as it did prior to the orthoscopic surgery. Same pain, same swelling and same crunching sound. I have read this same thing happening to other patients.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Generally after any surgical procedure antbiotics are started to reduce the chance of any infection . I do not understand why your OS not started it.

I suggest you to consult your orthopaedic surgeon for examination of your knee and to rule out any postoperative infection.

Hope this will helps you.

Best wishes

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon