Had total hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair. Vaginal lips and entrance uncomfortable. Suggest?

I had a total hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair done on September 6 using the Davinci. Is it possible to have an infection without a fever? My vaginal lips and the area around the entrance of my vagina is very uncomfortable, way worse than a few days ago. I have a little discharge but not much. Any recommendations on how to best clean myself there?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wash with plenty of water and take probiotics

Detailed Answer:
Normally infection is accompanied by fever, but in some cases, if the infection is mild, then fever may not be apparent in the early stages. Since you had an AP repair, that area will of course, be raw and mildly swollen due to the sutures. But its important that any infection of the suture site be ruled out first. Its still early days for the sutures to have been absorbed. Hence, there is always a chance of infection. If you see any redness, swelling more than usual, discoloration, etc do see your doctor. Mild brownish discharge is possible and usually occurs due to dissolving of the sutures. Pain usually reduces within a week. But excessive pain needs to be checked out. A common complication is vaginitis, which occurs due to the imbalance of the good flora in the vagina.
These are some points to note:
1.Seitz bath with hot water twice a day will help reduce the swelling.
2.Sometimes, due to tightness of the sutures there may be some swelling and pain, but it reduces soon after the sutures dissolve.
3.You can use probiotics to help balance the flora hence, keeping away infection.
4. Wash with plenty of water only. Try not to use soap.
5.If you have fever, or extreme pain, redness around the suture site, see your doctor asap.
These are small side effects and will not be a problem soon after. Da vinci is a widely used method of surgery and the recovery time is less than open surgery.