Had total hip replacement and two ruptured disc surgeries. Spine is curved. What do you think?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello, I had a total hip replacement about 2 1/2 years ago, and about 35 years ago had two ruptured disc surgeries. My disc surgeries were successful but after the hip replacement, I still have pain and my back is worse. The doctors say that the hip is aligned correctly however I am now "crooked" with the right hip higher than the left hip. The doctors say it is because my spine is curved. Well, I was perfectly straight before the surgery so how could it be my spine? My family doctor has confirmed that I do not have scoliosis. What do you think?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Leg length descrepancy is not uncommon after THR.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Though the incidence of leg length descrepancy is very less, it is not uncommon after Total hip replacement (THR). The most common variable noted is lengthening of the operated leg.

A careful preoperative planning and Intra operative assesment will avoid this issue in majority of the cases.

I personally feel that you back pain is being made worse by your lengthened right leg. Inorder to compensate for the increased leg length, the spine will bend towards the opposite side producing pain & spasm of the muscles.

Majority of the cases of leg length inequality can be effectively managed by using a SHOE LIFT or RAISE on shorter side.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further