Had total hip replacement and had two ruptured disc surgeries. Back pain is worse and spine is curved. What do you think?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I had a total hip replacement about 2 1/2 years ago, and about 35 years ago had two ruptured disc surgeries. My disc surgeries were successful but after the hip replacement, I still have pain and my back is worse. The doctors say that the hip is aligned correctly however I am now "crooked" with the right hip higher than the left hip. The doctors say it is because my spine is curved. Well, I was perfectly straight before the surgery so how could it be my spine? My family doctor has confirmed that I do not have scoliosis. What do you think?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shoe raise can be given for unequal limb length.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Limb length discrepancy is common after hip replacement procedure.
You can use a shoe raise on left side, if discrepancy is up to 2cm it will get corrected by it.
If still pain remains persistent then you need to investigate for cause of pain.
MRI spine and x ray hip will be helpful in diagnosing cause of pain.
Till time continue analgesic and calcium with vit D supplement.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had total hip replacement and had two ruptured disc surgeries. Back pain is worse and spine is curved. What do you think? 2 hours later
Thank you for all your advice. I do have an appt. with another orthopedic surgeon, but he is in the same group as the dr. that did the initial surgery, so who knows. I have already tried the shoe lift and it didn't help. I have changed my HMO to a PPO, so starting January I can see dr.s in other states. I have a daughter in San XXXXXXX and I will start researching ortho's in that location. Also going to try and see a good Pain Management dr. in San XXXXXXX This is my last chance at trying to take care of my problem. If it doesn't work, then I will just simply give up and learn to live with the pain. Again, thanks for all your input. Oh, I have already had MRI's with and without contrast, Cat Scans with and without contrast, and countless xrays. I am so weary but I still have this last chance after January to see if I can find a qualified dr. in San XXXXXXX that can help me. Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then you need further investigation

Detailed Answer:

So now you will need good clinical examination and investigation accordingly.

Wish you speedy recovery.