Had total colectomy done. Noticed blood in toilet, no pain. What can it be?

Question
10 years ago I had a total colectomy but yesterday I notice a lot of bright red blood in the tollet, I have no pain and today it seem to be getting better
what is it ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 54 minutes later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. How much quantity of blood did you notice in the toilet?
2. Are you having suffering from constipation?
3. Have you eaten any foods which would cause this color in stools.
4. Do you have a tear in your anal region?

Normally bleeding from the anus, rectum, and the sigmoid colon tend to be bright red, whereas bleeding from the transverse colon and the right colon tend to be dark red or maroon colored.

The most common cause could be:
1. Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels in the rectum or anus and can sometimes bleed. Painless rectal bleeding with a bowel movement is a common symptom of hemorrhoids. It can be painful as sometimes.

2. Anal fissure — is a tear in the lining of the anus, the opening where feces are excreted. Anal fissures can cause bleeding and a sensation of tearing or burning during or after a bowel movement.

Other rare causes of rectal bleeding — There are many other causes of rectal bleeding, including colon cancer, colon polyps, colitis, and diverticulitis.

Sometimes if you eat any food like beetroot, red gelatin, popsicles, tomato juice etc. you might have red colored stools.

In your case I see the probability of hemorrhoids as most likely cause.

Eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of fluids to avoid constipation. It is better to wait for a few days and then if it still continues you will need to get examined by a Physician.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Had total colectomy done. Noticed blood in toilet, no pain. What can it be? 10 hours later
The amount of blood is hard to tell but it covered my stool and turn the water red.
I notice last night that my stool color is close to normal.

I have been drinking a lot of rasberry flavored crysal light drink mix.

lately when my sugar drop, I drink a can of strawberry soda also on the day I notice the blood , I took some anti gas/acid medcine that morning.

as I before stated I had a total colectomy 10 years ago.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 21 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

There is a possibly that certain food colors like found in raspberry or strawberry drink can cause such a change in color. If in doubt you can get the stool examined by doing a stool culture and examination.

If the bleeding continues you will need to get it examined by a surgeon and also need to get an Ultrasound done.