Had tooth removed. Rinse mouth after ever cigarette. Wound started to bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a tooth removed 11 days ago. I smoke and have been rinsing with salt water after every cig, maybe 6 Times a day. Is that too much? Also when I was brushing today I must have gotten too close to the open wound and it started bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot??
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

You have injured the healing area in your gums while brushing. Clot does not stay so long and in 11 days the healing is not completely over. Please use a soft tooth brush for the next few days until complete healing has taken place. Also avoid chewing food on the side of tooth extraction for sometime. Regular gargling is a good remedy to fasten the process of healing and prevent any infections.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr,A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had tooth removed. Rinse mouth after ever cigarette. Wound started to bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot? 34 minutes later
How many days until the hole is completely closed? I'm still afraid to eat any solid foods let alone chewing anything on that side of my mouth. I was put on an antibiotic due to an infection I had last week in my mouth, so am I in the clear of any further infection due to me disturbing the healing area? I had no idea this would be such a stressful thing to go through.

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

The initial healing period usually takes about one to two weeks. New bone and gum tissue will grow into the gap. Longer term, however, having a tooth (or teeth) missing can cause the remaining teeth to move, affecting your bite and making it difficult to chew. For that reason, your dentist may advise replacing the missing tooth or teeth with an implant, fixed bridge or denture.

Hope this answers your query.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had tooth removed. Rinse mouth after ever cigarette. Wound started to bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot? 7 minutes later
I still have a bit of inflammation on my face and feels like on the gum of the tooth removed but not much pain anymore. Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal but needs care

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Your slight swelling is normal as long you do not experience pain and tenderness. Please take care not to cause any accidental gum injury.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had tooth removed. Rinse mouth after ever cigarette. Wound started to bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot? 15 hours later
I am very tender in the area and even on my cheek where the tooth was removed. I was feeling better two days ago, feeling like the infection was subsiding but now it is sore and tender again. What could be going on?

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Sorry to hear about the tenderness in your mouth.

There can be few reasons for the re appearance of pain.

1. There is constant irritation of the extracted tooth socket and cheek mucosa.
2. Slight infection might have occurred.
3. Wound is still raw and needs some more healing time.

You may take pain killers and do gargling for a day. If it does not improve by tomorrow or worsens, please have it seen by your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had tooth removed. Rinse mouth after ever cigarette. Wound started to bleeding. Did I dislodge the clot? 15 minutes later
Can u get an infection if your already on amoxicillin? I'm on my 6th day of it.

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infection less likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Having an infection is less likely if you are taking amoxicillin and also maintaining your dental hygiene. However possibility of irritation to affected region and cheek and the wound being raw can contribute to your problems. Please make sure you give enough rest to the wound area for healing and also brush your teeth gently. Do not attempt to touch or poke the area, that can further delay the healing process.

Hope I have answered your query.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor