Ask a Dentist   »  

Had tooth extracted after root canal therapy. Had bleeding. Suggest?

I had tooth #15 extracted yesterday after a prolonged period of root canal therapy (11wks). A applied pressure to the site when I noticed some bleeding last night. When I lifted the guaze, the clot started to lift away. It is sitting a bit low but is still in place. Will the socket remain protected?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Thanks for asking the query,
Please dont irritate the extraction site, follow the instructions given to you and your wound healing will take place in a week or two.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

A complete wound healing takes 2-3 weeks, you are not suppose to touch the extraction site with the finger, as it may delay the healing process.
If the blood clot is still in the socket I would advise you not to irritate the site for healthy recovery; if the blood clots gets dislodged it results in the formation of dry socket.

Follow the post extraction instructions given to you, take lukewarm saline and antispetic mouthwash rinses, take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics, avoid smoking and consumption of hot and spicy food stuffs. Take complete rest.

Hope you get well soon, if you have any further queries feel free to ask!

Dr Qazi
Follow-up: Had tooth extracted after root canal therapy. Had bleeding. Suggest? 3 hours later
There doesn't seem to be much holding this clot in place. Should I see my dentist if it falls out or wait for symptoms? If the clot falls out should I try to protect the socket with something?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit your dentist

Detailed Answer:

If the clot doesn't seem to be much holding in the socket, there could be a chance of developing a dry socket. You will require ZnOE dressing.

Instead of protecting the socket by yourself, I would encourage you to visit to the concerned Dentist and get the socket examined, if required a ZnOE dresssing can be given.

Hope you find this as helpful,

Take care!
Dr Qazi.